Smoothies for Pitta Dosha
People who are Pitta dosha dominant can certainly have more cooling food, as well as raw food that is cooling such as
- lettuce and leafy cruciferous veggies
- sweet fruits
- coconut flesh, water, and milk
- milk, butter, ghee
And Pitta dosha is, like Vata, pacified by the sweet taste. So in summer or warm weather, such as late Spring, early Fall, or closer to the equator, Pitta can be much more liberal about smoothies, , even vegetable ones, especially emphasizing a healthy combination of spices, and protein.
Ayurveda does not recommend eating fruit with food, with the exception of small amount of sweet banana, or cooking with dried fruit in small amounts. For this reason I recommend that if you make a smoothie with veggies not to add fruit.
Veggie Smoothie for Pitta Dosha
- 2 cups fresh rice, oat, coconut milk, soy, or cow’s milk
- 1 scoop protein powder or gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup fresh avocado and/or 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup kale or collard or spinach, lettuce or cucumber
- 2 tsp date syrup or a 1/2 frozen banana or coconut sugar
- 1-2 tsp Cortas brand Pomegranate molasses
- 2 tsp mild curry powder or cumin with cardamon and cinnamon
- optional 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Sea Salt
- optional Stevia, i like Stevia in the Raw, less bitter.
As you can see there is nothing frozen in this smoothie, unless you use the frozen banana, so this i going to be cool, not iced. If you feel you need it colder, you can always refrigerate it after making, but if your veggies and milk are from the frig, it will be a bit cool.
Effects in Ayurveda
Sweet, bitter, and astringent are the flavors that pacify Pitta, and cooling is the energy that does. Rice, Oat, Coconut, Soy, and Cow’s Milk are all cooling.
In an in ideal world your milk is freshly made. Freshly made food is full of prana.
Read the ingredients of those boxes of oat, rice, and coconut milk and try to find one without tons of guar gum, carageneen, and preservatives.
This smoothie will be a very nice combination of savory and sweet, with the
Pitta Pacifying Effect of
- bitter veggies
- sweet and cooling rice, oat, coconut, or cow’s milk
- astringent Pomegranate molasses.
It will be filling, and if you are one of those high intensity hard exercising, wiry Pitta dominant types, you can make it a little sweeter than the recipe, using a little more date syrup or banana, or just add some Stevia if you don”t need the sugar.
The above article continues the train of thought begun in this article about Ayurveda and Smoothies
copyright eyton shalom, may 2017, all rights reserved, use with permission…