Posts Tagged "Green Living"

Juiced Watermelon with Lime, Ginger, and Salt

Posted by on Aug 29, 2012

Alternative to Iced Drinks in Hot Weather Protect the Agni/ Yang in Summer: Juiced Watermelon with Lime, Ginger, and Salt The other day was quite hot (for SD!), and I swam at the beach after walking down from the top of Torrey Pines, and got home overheated and thirsty. I could still feel the sun hot on my head, even though I had worn a hat. I needed a lot of fluid and to cool down healthfully. An excellent alternative to iced beverages in hot conditions like that is juiced melon, especially watermelon. I juiced mine with fresh ginger...

Read More

Just What Is Inside Those Breasts?

Posted by on May 20, 2012

There is a crisis involving environmental toxins in human breast milk. While you may not be able to control the air that you breath, or the fact that there the flame retardants in your stereo are getting in to your blood stream and being stored in the breasts, what you can control is the food you eat, and how much plastic and other toxic chemicals you get into contact with. One of the causes of toxins in breast milk are growth hormones found in meat and dairy from cattle that have been treated with hormones to make them bigger...

Read More

Indoor Air Pollution

Posted by on Sep 24, 2011

From the UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, from the School of Public Health, June 2000 “For the average person, where does air pollution pose the worst risk? a) on the freeway?b) near a power plant?c) in their own home? You guessed it, kids! The answer, according to UC Berkeley, is “in your own home.” Here is the red meat: “By measuring exposures in people, scientists have found, surprisingly (eyton shalom adds, this should be NOT surprisingly) that personal exposure to pollutants in most homes exceeds exposure to outdoor pollutants in both rural and industrial areas. …culprits: exhaust from improperly vented...

Read More

Can’t figure out where your allergies, fatigue, nausea, or headaches come from?

Posted by on Sep 19, 2011

During the course of an “average” day in urbanized industrialized societies, people come into contact with thousands of synthetic compounds. Walking thru the supermarket, esp in the cleaning fluids aisles, you are breathing them in. Also when you put on perfume, you are breathing it in and subjecting other people to the same synthetic compounds that disrupt endocrine function. These compounds are in fake smelling fruity chewing gum, hair gel, deoderant, dishwashing, laundry, and all the other kinds of cleaners. Buy unscented or scented with essential oil products. If you want to chew gum, chew Xylitol come with natural...

Read More

Bisphenol A (BPA) Synthetic Estrogens in Plastic Food Containers and Canned Foods

Posted by on Nov 8, 2009

From a recent article in the NY Times, by Nicholas Kristoff, about the Synthethic Estrogens from plastic that are found in 92% of American Bodies (one wonders what the other 8% are doing to avoid them?), and about the probable effects they have on the Endocrince System—the all-important glands in the body that tell everything else what to do. This is why I drink my filtered water out of Glass, Not Plastic. This is why I store left-overs (for not more than 24 hours) in Glass or Stainless Steel; Not Plastic. This is why I do not buy canned...

Read More

Teff n’ Quinoa Gluten Free Pancakes Recipe

Posted by on Jan 26, 2009

  Teff n’ Quinoa Gluten Free Vegan Pancakes Recipe Autumn and Winter are ideal times for the warming, grounding quality of of pancakes. But why use pre-packaged, over-salted, sugary, low-fiber pancake mixes whose pre-ground grains may or may not be fresh, when it’s so easy to make it yourself. Here is today’s recipe– spicy like my mom’s spice cake, low-fat, naturally sweet without sugar, and with as little salt as you want.. If you like salt, add some! You control what goes in to the mix. So use some quality sea salt if you need to. Trader Joe’s has...

Read More

Pin It on Pinterest